Silsden’s history goes on display at Wesley Place Gardens
The story of Silsden is outlined on a new colour information board in the town’s Wesley Place Gardens.
Charlie Driver and Laila Heslop, of Hothfield Junior School’s archaeology club, look at the information board with Councillor Andrew Mallinson (centre) David Mason of Silsden Local History Group, children from the school and headteacher James Procter
The oak-framed interpretation board portrays the town’s history, geography and nature through text and pictures.
It was unveiled at a ceremony attended by civic representatives, children from Hothfield Junior School and members of Silsden Local History Group.
The board was partly funded through the group’s fundraising efforts, including coffee mornings and entrance fees to its monthly meetings.
The fundraising was boosted by a £1,000 grant from Coun Andrew Mallinson, who represents Craven ward on Bradford Council.
The Local History Group organised the board after receiving requests for more information about Silsden’s history.
The board states that Silsden is surrounded by countryside of “considerable colour and charm”.
It reveals that Silsden owes its name to an Anglo-Saxon farmer called Sighle, who lived around 500 AD.
In the Domesday book of 1086, Sighlesden was recorded as the most important village in Craven, ruled by five knights.